Thursday, January 5, 2012

10 Superfoods Your Kitchen Can't Live Without!


Time and again I get asked what the best foods are to eat. The truth, of course, is that different things work for different people and it would be rather a long list if I were to try and write them in a blog post!

That being said, there are definitely some foods I continue absolute staples. Keep these in your home and you are unlikely to ever get stuck in a food emergency before class or end up tempted to hit the take away on the way home from class!

Enjoy.
  1. Coconut oil: this saturated fat is made up of medium chain fatty acids, and great for energy as well as fat loss. A teaspoon will quell the sugar cravings right away, and it's also fab for cooking!
  2. Organic protein powder: A great back up for a meal if need be, and also excellent post yoga. I recommend my own brand, which is all organic and grass-fed (and a great price if I do say so myself!) but if you don't want that one any good organic brand is a smart choice.
  3. Tinned salmon or sardines: I'm not a huge tinned food fan, but great as a back up.
  4. Frozen organic vegetables: frozen veg are snap frozen, retaining nutrition. Great as a back-up again!
  5. Greek organic yoghurt: I recommend all dairy be organic. Greek yoghurt is fab as it is high in probiotics; good bacteria.
  6. Dark chocolate:at least 85%: it's higher in antioxidants, and lower in sugar
  7. Red wine: enough said :)
  8. Avocado: a great fat that can be used as a snack on its own if need be!
  9. Frozen berries: add them to the yoghurt or your protein shake, or enjoy with some chocolate and wine. Yummy.
  10. A great nut and seed mix: Avoid peanuts as they are legumes not nuts. I would roast nuts yourself if possible to avoid vegetable oils, and then salt with pink or grey salt.
Keep these foods in your cupboard and enjoy being able to go home without worrying about what to eat on those days when you just can't be bothered!

Not just Food for Yoga. Food for Life.

Want to get an idea of ALL the best foods for a clean and energised you? I'm actually in the process of finishing an e-book on just that! You can check it out at my blog www.womanincredible.com, where you can also subscribe for free updated on nutrition, health, training and fat loss. Grab a free copy of my Female Fat Loss book while you're there!

1 comment:

Saya said...

Thanks for sharing. Coconut oil is always an interesting one... I must experiment more :)